Notre Dame has electric vehicle charging stations on campus available to university staff, faculty, and students. The stations, paired in the Joyce Lot near lamppost 14 and on the east side of the library lot near Leahy Drive, will provide electricity to charge fully electric as well as hybrid plug-in vehicles such as the Chevy Volt, Toyota Prius EV, Tesla Model S and Nissan Leaf.
A valid Notre Dame parking permit and ID is required to receive a special EV parking permit. Permits need to be renewed at the beginning of each academic year. The Office of Sustainability, along with University Parking Services has extended the registration/renewal deadline for EV parking permits through August 21, 2021. New for the 2021-22 academic year, we are waiving the expense of the EV parking decal. Due to this change, the steps for renewing and/or registering for an EV decal have changed. The EV parking sticker allows you to park in an LEV preferred parking space as well.
When applying for a new or renewing of your EV parking decal, please email the following information to the Office of Sustainability:
- A scanned copy of your vehicle registration.
- A scanned copy of your Notre Dame ID.
- Your campus mailing address (if you do not have a campus mailing address, please include an off-campus mailing address in which we can send your parking decal to you via USPS).
Once your documentation has been processed, we will return your 2021-22 EV parking decal to you.
As a reminder, the following are elements of the EV Parking Policy:
- Parking in electrical charging stalls is restricted to vehicles plugged in for charging.
- Electric Vehicle charging stations are available on a first-come-first-served basis.
- In order to use the University's EV charging stations, you must display a Notre Dame EV sticker on the inside, lower corner of the driver's side front windshield.
- Charging of electric vehicles is limited to a 4-hour period per 24-hour window. The time limit on all EV parking stalls will be monitored and enforced by NDSP.
Etiquette for shared/limited EV charging equipment:
- Don't charge your vehicle if you don't need to. Please leave the spot available for another EV driver that may need the charge.
- Only occupy a charging spot while your car is being charged. When your charging session is completed, unplug and move your vehicle.
- Please be kind and wind the cord neatly, placing it back on the charger to prevent anyone from tripping.
If you are a visitor on campus who would like to use the charging stations, temporary passes can be obtained at the Morris Inn, from NDSP in Hammes Mowbray or from the Office of Sustainability, located at B20 Haggar Hall. There is no charge for temporary passes. Please email the Office of Sustainability with any questions.