Mission and Overview of Responsibilities
Sustainability Commissioners are chosen within their residence hall and work closely with the Office of Sustainability to reduce the environmental impact of the University through programming and education initiatives in their dorm. Commissioners serve as the formal link between the student body and the Office of Sustainability.
Sustainability Commissioners are expected to:
- Attend the Sustainability Commissioner Retreat. This half-day retreat will educate commissioners about diverse aspects of campus sustainability and enable them to get to know each other and develop collaborative relationships between dorms. Commissioners who attend will be eligible to move into their dorms early.
- Act as a liaison between the Office of Sustainability and their respective dorms. This may include sending emails and putting up posters to advertise for events sponsored by the Office of Sustainability. Commissioners are also responsible for coordinating their dorm’s participation in campus-wide competitions like the Dorm Energy Competition.
- Attend monthly dinner meetings hosted by the Office of Sustainability. These meetings allow sustainability commissioners to network with one another and receive important updates on campus sustainability initiatives and events from representatives of the Office of Sustainability. The meetings also serve as an important venue in which commissioners can provide feedback to the Office and suggest campus-wide improvements and programs.
- Organize a unique sustainability initiative in their dorm. Each commissioner should create at least one dorm-wide event or initiative outside of the events organized by the Office of Sustainability. This might be a dorm infrastructure improvement like shower timers, a single event like a tour of the power plant, or a repeated event like Meatless Monday dinner in the dining hall. Commissioners may plan many events and initiatives, as their Hall Government directs.
- Encourage all Hall Government activities to be planned more sustainably. Sustainability commissioners should work with their president to offer their services as an “environmental consultant” of sorts to help green their dorm’s events, including signature events.