K-Cup Reuse & Recycling
Reusable K-Cup Options
When it comes to reducing waste and energy needs, reusing is always a better option than recycling. We encourage you to consider using reusable K-Cup pods. These pods can be washed and reused many times to make coffee or tea. Moreover, reusable pods can help you save money, as purchasing coffee or tea grounds alone is often cheaper than purchasing single-use K-Cup packs. Amazon offers several reusable options to choose from.
K-Cup Pod Recycle Program
Due to programmatic funding challenges, the K-Cup Pod Recycling Program, provided by Keurig and funded by Office Depot, has been temporarily paused. New sign-ups for the program, along with requests and fulfillments for new collection boxes, have also been temporarily paused. Locations with collection boxes still on hand may continue to ship out their K-Cup recycle boxes as usual until they run out. The University's Procurement Services team is working with Keurig and Office Depot to resolve this matter. This page will be updated when more information is available. Please complete this form if you wish to be notified once the status of the program has changed.
When Choosing the Recycling Option
If you choose single-use pods, the best thing you can do is recycle them. The Keurig K-Cycle recycling program is made possible by Notre Dame's strategic partnership with Office Depot. Through the University’s collective purchasing of Keurig K-Cup pods, the K-Cycle program is available at no charge. There is no requirement to purchase K-Cup pods from Office Depot to participate in this program. However, we ask that you honor the requirement that they accept only the Keurig brand K-Cups in this recycling program.
In just a few easy steps, you can help make a difference:
- Complete the Office Depot K Cycle Sign Up Form, then email it to Rob Hirshman. This creates an account for you.
- Follow the directions given on the order form when ordering your free K-Cycle collection box. The cost of return shipping is included with your K-Cycle order, and arrives with a pre-affixed UPS return shipping label. Your full K-Cycle boxes can be placed with other UPS items ready for pick-up. Most campus offices use UPS and may already have daily pickup service. If you don’t have a designated area for UPS pick-up, you can log in to UPS CampusShip and Schedule a Pickup
- Once your registration has been received and processed, you will receive five small boxes to start the collection process. When returning your third box for recycling, you will automatically receive another five small boxes.
- Please make sure to return only FULL boxes of Keurig brand K-Cups for recycling, as this will help keep this a free service (and a more efficient one at that.
- If you have any questions or issues with the program, reach out directly to Rob Hirshman.