Recycling FAQ

A New Process and a Temporary Pause

Beginning in the fall 2020 semester, the Office of Sustainability, in collaboration with Building Services and Recycling, will be implementing a new process for recycling cans, bottles, paper, and cardboard in the residence halls, including Fischer Graduate Residences.  This new approach is designed to create traceability and allow the broader campus community to follow their recycling beyond the bin.

With lower occupancy in administrative offices this semester, during this pilot phase, single-stream recycling will temporarily pause in all non-residential buildings.  Once a residence hall solution is implemented, the team will quickly focus on necessary changes for office and academic spaces.

This phased approach will ensure that the rollout is safe and manageable for operational staff during this period of increased cleaning. To address these issues and to take a more active role in the journey of campus waste, the University of Notre Dame has entered a direct partnership with a local materials recycling facility (MRF.)  The single-stream recycling system will be restricted to include only the materials for which the MRF can identify a buyer.  For the Midwest, this means only clean, empty bottles, cans, paper, and empty flattened cardboard boxes will be accepted.

Outdoor Recycling Collection Containers

This will replace the University’s existing recycling relationship, and the yellow-lidded recycling dumpsters used in the previous process have been removed from campus.  The University is able to supply carts for the collection of cardboard.  If your building does not have sufficient capacity for collecting trash, or your building or dumpster area is in need of a cardboard cart, please contact the Office of Sustainability.

Continued Recycling Opportunities

Cardboard: Any flattened cardboard placed in a designated cart next to a trash dumpster will be picked up by Notre Dame’s recycling crew.  Note: during move-in week 2020, Notre Dame was able to collect two tons of cardboard for recycling! If you have an abundance of cardboard, please submit an AiM work order to schedule a pick-up

Electronics and Toner Cartridges: Please hold on to these items during the pause on-campus activity.  Once we are able to return to the collection of these items, you can submit an AiM work order to schedule a pick-up.

Batteries and non-university cell phones: These go in the battery buckets, located in Hammes Mowbray Lobby, DeBartolo Hall Help Desk Room 115, ITC Building Computer Service and Repair Office, Rockne Memorial Building Front Desk, and the Main Building West Side Entrance Recycling Station.

CFL Light bulbs: Designated collection containers should be located in all dorms for special pickup.  Offices should give their burned out bulbs to Maintenance or call 631-8888.

University Cell Phones, Tablets, and Computers: Fax in an ND Surplus form to request a pickup.

How do I recycle off-campus?

  • Non-university paint, pesticides, aerosols, products that contain mercury, and tires: These items can be disposed of through St. Joseph’s County Solid Waste Management.  Visit their website for more information about accepted materials and drop-off locations.
  • Paper/Plastic/Glass/Aluminum: Single stream is common off-campus but please check your local township for specifics on accepted items: City of Mishawaka and South Bend
  • CFL Light bulbs: Intact bulbs can be disposed of at the St. Joseph’s County Solid Waste Management Household Hazardous Waste drop-off site as well as some local hardware stores.
  • Electronics & Appliances:  The Solid Waste Management District of St. Joseph County collects obsolete electronics at the District Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) location, and all electronics are accepted free of charge. Best Buy also accepts outdated electronics for recycling (some are accepted free of charge, some are accepted for recycling for a fee).  Please check their website before visiting.