K-Cup Recycle Program
The Office of Sustainability and the Green Ambassadors are continually collaborating on informational resources for staff to use as they help the University achieve its sustainability goals.
When it comes to coffee options, you can choose to go with reusable coffee pods, or recycle your coffee pods.
When Choosing the Recycling Option
If you choose single-use pods, the best thing you can do is recycle them. The Keurig K-Cycle recycling program is made possible by Notre Dame's strategic partnership with Office Depot. Through the University’s collective purchasing of Keurig K-Cup pods, the K-Cycle program is available at no charge. There is no requirement to purchase K-Cup pods from Office Depot to participate in this program. However, we ask that you honor the requirement that they accept only the Keurig brand K-Cups in this recycling program.
In just a few easy steps, you can help make a difference:
- Complete the Office Depot K Cycle Sign Up Form, then email it to Rob Hirshman. This creates an account for you.
- Follow the directions for ordering your free K-Cycle collection box. Return shipping is included with your K-Cycle order which will arrive with a pre-affixed UPS return shipping label. Most campus offices use UPS and may already have daily pickup service. Your full K-Cycle boxes can be placed with other UPS items ready for pick-up.
- Follow the directions for ordering your free K-Cycle collection box. The cost of return shipping is included with your K-Cycle order, and arrives with a pre-affixed UPS return shipping label. Your full K-Cycle boxes can be placed with other UPS items ready for pick-up. If you don’t have a designated area for UPS pick-up, you can log in to UPS CampusShip and Schedule a Pickup
- Once your registration has been received and processed, you will receive five small boxes to start the collection process. When returning your third box for recycling, you will automatically receive another five small boxes.
- Please make sure to return only FULL boxes of Keurig brand K-Cups for recycling as this will help keep this a free service (and a more efficient one at that.
When Choosing the Reusable Option
When it comes to reducing waste and energy needs, reusing is always a better option than recycling. Consider using reusable K-Cup pods. These can be washed and reused many times, and are not limited to just coffee. They can also be used to make tea and hot chocolate. Amazon offers several options to choose from.