Game Day Recycling
Be a part of Notre Dame’s efforts to #GoIrish #BeGreen!
At each home game, teams of volunteer students circulate through the Stadium, Joyce, Library, Bulla, and Bookstore and several other tailgate lots across campus, distributing blue recycle bags to tailgate fans and answering questions about single stream recycling.
If you would like your student group to volunteer to hand out bags, please email the Office of Sustainability at email@example.com.
How does it work?
In an effort to promote recycling and keep the most congested parking lots clean, parking lot attendants will distribute to each incoming car 2 blue bags for recycling and 1 clear bag for trash. Large recycling and trash containers will be placed throughout the Stadium and Joyce (North) lots for guests’ use. Fans may leave their tied-up recycle and clear trash bags at their vehicles for pickup or take them to one of the recycle/trash containers located in the parking lots.
Here are two ways you can help be a part of Notre Dame's efforts to go green.
We’ve made recycling outside of the stadium convenient and easy for our tailgate fans.
Items you can recycle outside of the stadium (after emptying food and liquids into the clear trash bag)
- Bottles – glass & plastic
- Aluminum cans
- Plastics #1 - #6 (please make sure to place your Styrofoam in the clear trash bag)
- Clean cardboard and clean paper (no wax coating, please)
- Please place all other waste materials including food and liquids in the clear bag provided.
Where can I get additional recycling bags?
For added convenience, additional blue recycle bags can be found in the blue refurbished newspaper vending boxes located at various light poles throughout the Stadium, Joyce, Library, and several other parking lots on campus.
We've also made recycling inside the stadium easy and convenient. Throughout the upper and lower level concourse areas you will find clearly marked green recycle containers where you can place your empty, purchased food containers.
Items you can recycle inside of the stadium (after emptying food and liquids into the landfill container)
- Plastics #1 through #6 - including your empty souvenir popcorn bucket and your clean, empty nacho tray
- Clean cardboard – like your clean, empty pizza tray and candy box
- Clean paper – including the ND logo paper wrapped around your hot dog
- Please place all other waste materials in the black container marked Landfill.
How does my recycling effort impact the University?
Since its start in 2007, the Game Day Recycling Program has diverted more than 941 tons of waste material from area landfills – that’s almost 24 semi-trucks full! We’re on track to collect more than 100 tons of recycling again this year. Thank you for being a part of our Irish going green movement. Go Irish! Be Green!